Friday, April 22, 2011

My homeless brother.

Excerpt from a journal entry on Dec. 30, 2010.


 In Hawaii I was able to minister to a poor homeless soul named Howard, who just stood in one spot all day and all night in filthy rags.  Thousands of wealthy, healthy, happy tourists walked past him, turning up their noses at the foul smell coming from his tattered, soiled clothing.   I gave him a bottle of water in the morning and he was in the exact same spot, holding his bottle of water that evening.  I talked him across the street where I tried to give him new clothes and a towel that I bought him but he refused to get clean or accept the clothing. He stood there a whole other day and night.  I realized he didn't want to eat or drink anything because he had nowhere to go to the bathroom.  He was on my heart all night so the next day, when I saw he was still standing there,   I went to the police to try and get him help.  At first they told me there was absolutely nothing they could do if he wasn't harming anyone.  I told them that he obviously couldn't care for himself and that he was going to die of dehydration while nobody did anything.  By that evening he had been removed from the streets.  I pray that he will have an advocate and find a place to live.


I had a lot of compassion for him, partly because his name is Howard and that's my brother's name.  What would I do if my brother was on the street, not eating, not moving, standing there filthy and confused?  Talking with him revealed he was not crazy just unwell, and he had a good sense of humour like saying "a guy gave me a dollar for impersonating a statue".  anyways, the experience reminded me of the importance of helping those in need and encouraged me that setting up a mission is a very important and worthwhile task.  If I can help my homeless brother find a bed to sleep in, water to drink, clothes to wear and then some hope and love from the heart of God, it will be worth it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment